Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 4: Ok I am not losing my mind!

What a beautiful sunny day out today...gotta love fall! 

Had a follow-up appointment today with my ob-gyn re: some surgery I had 6 weeks ago to remove a polyp in one of the lobes of my uterus....apparently it was sitting right where an egg would normally like to implant (clearly these eggs have very particular likes and dislikes!).  So out it came, and I found out today (no big surprise here) that all is well.  But much more interesting is that I found out that YES it is perfectly normal to feel this gross on this particular brand of BCP.  So it is not my vivid imagination after all!  And here I thought I was turning into a hypochondriac!

I also read some studies on melatonin and egg quality today. I am starting to get the distinct impression that one could drive oneself loco with this whole IVF process.  Q10?  Accupuncture?  Raspberry tea?  Melatonin? Other?  So I think I am going to take the path of least resistance and do nothing other than keep knocking back the Coenzyme Q10, which I have been doing for about 6 months now.   Probably a complete waste of money, but at least I can say that I tried one of the various potential remedies for stale eggs.  Actually, I did in fact try 2, acupuncture being the other one.  However I thought the acupuncturist was a rip off, close to $100 to take 5 minutes to stick in and then pull out some needles?  Then on my last appointment I started to bleed at one of the sites of the needles and that was that, I decided to pack that in.  And anyways I don't seem to have much of a stress issue (at least not related to fertility) plus I don't really have a fertility issue per se, I just have tied tubes and old eggs.  And even those eggs may be ok, as far as current medical science can tell (actually I suspect the doctors haven't really got a clue, which is why this IVF thing is such a crap shoot....someone should try to sort that out one of these days because the whole thing is grossly inefficient and tbh it feels like I am paying big bucks for a bout of medical gambling).  Or are those FSH and AMH numbers a complete waste of time too? 

European man is still busy working long days and then rushing over to the apartment to paint.  I keep pushing him to use up some of that copious vacation those Europeans get so that he isn't killing himself, but he has some sort of an issue with that.  I would of course like to think that he wants more time off for when I finally (!) arrive, but the realist in me says fat chance, he just wants to be able to bugger off on a nice trip before the end of the year.  Guess I need to break it to him that I might not be feeling so hot and therefore not in the mood for travel, plus my little animal companion will need me around to adjust when we first arrive so dumping him somewhere and taking off won't be an option, plus, minor detail, given that I haven't worked in awhile, I really need to save my funds for things like, ah, IVF and ah, rent and ah, healthy food. Men....geesh. 

But hard to believe, 4 weeks Wednesday if all goes well I will be starting the full IVF protocol, whatever that is!

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you well. As you said, seems like the doctors probably don't even know about eggs. When I first did all my fertility testing (eggs, fsh, etc.), the doctor at that time, said I had good eggs, then, when the cycle failed,he said I had bad eggs. You just never know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Victoria...couldn't agree more. I think once they sort out the egg thing, IVF stats will improve drastically. But for now, I don't think they have a clue, so I wonder what will happen with me. After all, 42 is 42 (and 43 in 2 months...sigh). My huge fear is that they call the whole thing off because I don't respond because my entire reproductive system has gone drastically south since all of my initial tests in May. What a trip this is. And the funny thing is, it will be over before I know it...1.5 months and I will know if it worked or not. Wow.

    Cheers
    RD

    ReplyDelete